  From: David Harris <dharris@drh.net>
  To  : Raul Dias <chaos@swi.com.br>
<imapvpop@davideous.com> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:42:26 -0400

RE: List active?

Raul Dias <chaos@swi.com.br> wrote:
> Is this list active? I am asking this because I have seen just a few
> posts in the archieve in the website.

You are the first to post since I setup the list.

> Is there anywork on the patch? The patch is against imap-4.6. Was there
> any development over it after this published patch?

I haven't done any development since the published patch. I haven't even
upgraded my IMAP server since that. I have been reliably using it in
production since the patch was created.

> I found out about it yesterday, when looking for a better way to handle
> virtual domains within imapd (and pop3d). And it is, so far, the best
> idea to do it.

Yes, that's what I'm using the patch for: allowing each virtual domain
customer to have their own namespace of mailboxes. You can see this in the
code of the included vpop__userauthen function.

The logic works like this: If the username has a special prefix, it is taken
to be a virtual mail user. I then lookup the ipaddress the user connected to
(TCPLOCALIP) in VPOP__IPUSERDB_FILENAME. This gives me the home directory of
their virtual hosting account. From here I lookup the username in a
per-virtual-hosting-account password file, which gives me the virtual e-mail
user's mail directory and their encoded password. Their password is then
checked against the encoded value and the user's access information is
returned.

David